So this weekend I deployed http://www.playerviewer.com (shameless attempt at self promotion!). I've spent a lot of time with EC2 on Sonar / Jenkins boxes, but never deployed over Tomcat on it in production other than small tests.
One thing I found during the inital deployment that really started to be a constant theme...
stop tomcat, download war, delete old war folder, move war, start tomcat.
This started to become a pain, so I ended up just using a shell script.
So the maven process in my pom is to move my war to a directory, that then gets uploaded to http://www.mysite.com/deploy/ROOT.war and my shell script does the rest.
There are probably much nicer ways to do this such as using ant to ftp the script to the location for the shell script to download it, but it's not really that important.
Also - all the code from player viewer is available open source here